11. Portland Buildings | 463-475 New North Road
The Portland Buildings were constructed in 1914 on an empty site defining the corner of Cenral Road. Built for Arthur Page, the name is from the ship which bought the Page family to New Zealand.
A good example of an Edwardian building, it is in good condition and is a scheduled building.
Three-masted iron sailing ship Waimea, sister ship and similar to The Portland
On the corner of Central Road is the former petrol station built in 1928 as part of the Page family business. It is an early example of a purpose built retail outlet for petrol and car services, retaining its original canopy and stained glass fanlights.
A new building with apartments above and shops below replaced the 1950's Glengyle knitwear factory.