10. Mrs R Scott Draper | 477 New North Road
Built in the early 1890's the building was occupied by a Mrs Rachael Scott, draper, from around 1901 up until 1925-26. In 1970 a drapery business, Kingsland Drapery Ltd, was still being operated from the building.
By 1985 the building was a food business and is now a restaurant.
Scroll down to see a typical drapery shopping list from 1925...
Drapery Shopping List
- Darning wool & darning mushroom
- Darning & sewing needles
- Dressmaking pins
- Inch tape & marking chalk
- Dressmaking scissors & pinking shears
- Sewing machine needles
- Pattern for sugar sack apron
- Ric rac braid, bias binding & lace
- 2½ yards drill material for man’s work trousers
- 1½ yards flannel material for boy’s school shirt
- 2 yards gingham material for girl’s dress
- 10 yards chintz material for curtains
- 10 yards calico lining
- 6 yards ticking material for mattress cover
- 10lb kapok mattress filling
- Reels matching thread
- Buckles &buttons